Tuesday, March 3, 2009

cat's out of the bag.

hooray
 old photo. still funny.                                          

Well, gee. Now I just feel silly. I'm ready to share my fun news, but hopefully after my little teaser it isn't a let down.  ?   And no,  [sigh]  I am not announcing my completed website [double sigh]. I swear, I'm working on it! Let's set a goal together. How about the end of the month?

ANYWAY, about that LITTLE SECRET  that I mentioned a while back. As you know, I am not really a secretive person. ABOUT ANYTHING really. I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve, for better or for worse. And trust me, sometimes it's for WORSE. ha!  However, since December I have been keeping something to myself. 

**oh boy. and no I am not pregnant either! you're all so sweet. but when that happens I will just post a picture of vomit. 'cause that's how I roll... for the whole glorious 9 months. **

Ever since the big Q and A, I have had lots of people ask if I would be willing to offer mentoring sessions or workshop of some kind. And up until recently, the whole idea was pretty intimidating to me! Stand in front of a group teaching photography? Ummm, scary. The whole confidence factor was a big deal to get over! However, I accepted my first mentor session this December and had so much fun. So far I have taken on five "pupils" (ha!) and each experience has been so fun and the response has been great! 

So here's the skinnny. Sessions are available to anyone regardless of location. The format I have found works out best is a minimum of two hours-  at least one hour of shooting and one hour of photoshop. But of course you can use the time however you want, since mentoring sessions are all about you! This is basically a run down of how things have typically gone.  Some popular topics are USING and FINDING good light- outside AND inside, getting good EXPOSURES while shooting in MANUAL, POSING, perfecting your focus to get the sharpest images possible, etc.  In photoshop, I basically take you through my typical workflow using the images you took during our shoot. I will show you how to save TIME and lots of headaches, how to enhance your pictures rather than spend hours fixing them, and show you all the little tricks and tips I use to get the look and style of my photos. We will learn about actions too- how to make your own, how to make some of my personal actions, and how to use various sets that you can purchase on your own (i.e. nicole van, totally rad, itty bitty etc.). Contact me for additional info or if you have any questions! I don't claim to be an expert on everything, but I am an expert on MY style and MY technique. If that's something you want to learn, this may be just the thing for you. 

Just for fun, here are some images from my last two clients. Both are from just last week!


jenifer
How gorgeous is this shot by JENIFER WILLIAMS! Finding the right light makes ALL the difference. 

meghan
Image by MEGHAN ROBLES.  Remember? I took pictures of her TWINS last fall. This is the product of good manual exposure and a few of the right editing techniques. =)  I LOVE the color!

Well, there you go. That's my news! If you are interested in mentoring, drop me an e-mail at 
jesslkettle@yahoo.com. Let me know what you want to focus on and please include a blog address or sample of your work!  

17 comments:

Jessica F said...

Jess! Thats awesome, glad you are finally doing that:) Maybe this fall/christmas if you are out in Seattle Area we could get together:)

Carly said...

Dang. I was hoping you were pregnant or something. HAHAHA Just kidding this is awesome Jess! :)

Anonymous said...

So great! I am for sure on it right now! I live in St. George but I would love to get the dish on how and what you do. I think I've got my camera setting down and some post processing but I just love your work and it would be SO fun to learn about how you do it. Yippee!

Erin said...

good for you! I totally thought you were prego too! Ha! Maybe i will have to hit you up for some lessons sometime when I am in Utah..

Laurel said...

Are you planning on visiting the OC area anytime soon? ::wink:: Because I'd definitely be interested...

Vanessa said...

YEAH!! You should be doing this! You are AMAZING!!! I know it will be a HUGE SUCCESS!!!

Rockin' Rowes said...

Awesome! I will be calling you after my busy tax season is over! I would love some tips from you to help me improve my photogaphy.

http://photostudiob.blogspot.com/

Jeni said...

You are amazing Jessica. I learned SO MUCH from my session with you. Of course I also learned that sometimes you are just born with it (ahem... YOU!) and others of us (like ME) just have to LEARN from those like you who are born naturally talented. So thanks for being willing to share your gifts. Good Karma to you girl.

Ellie McFreaken said...

Jessica...I can't tell you how much I learned from you. I wish I had been more familiar with CS4 since I didn't retain too much of it but nevertheless you were a great teacher and I learned a TON!

If anyone is considering doing this...Jess is a great teacher!

Martha said...

I just LOVE this picture of Navy!

Martha said...

I just LOVE this picture of Navy!

Martha said...

I just LOVE this picture of Navy!

Chelz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jill said...

HELLO! I am an avid "stalker" from Idaho, and just getting into my own photography. Will you by chance be offering any online classes or written tutorials??? THANKS! Jill

Jennifer Urbin Photography said...

That first image makes me so happy...Love it! Anyway...I haven't been blogging b/c I took a few months off to get my website done and actually come up with a business plan. Things kind of happened backwards for me. I just loved taking pics of my kids and then all of the sudden people wanted me to take pics of their kids and then the word spread...and I didn't have a website, a way to keep track of clients, any collections to offer...nothin. So that's what I'm working on now. Just trying to get organized so I can hit the ground running. Goal is to have the website up by the end of the month...just have a ton of images and I'm having a hard time narrowing them down...if you'd like to lend a discerning eye...I'd be all for it.

Take me as I am said...

I hope there isn't a person out there that wouldn't want to improve their skills. THis is your personal stocker from PROVO.
Let me know how much these tutorials are, or did I miss it? Sorry I am on the cold meds currently.
www.memoriescapturedbyshelly.com
oh, and I took some pictures this weekend up in salt lake. I want you to check them out.
email me girl
shellybellygardner@yahoo.com
love ya!

Laci said...

If you are still offering the classes anytime in the future I would love to take some classes from you! Let me know pricing and other info, I am in Pleasant Grove! Thanks so much! My email is laciarias@hotmail.com